Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndrome – not withdrawal

by Mark Ivar Myhre on August 16, 2006

It is not called antidepressant withdrawal.   Instead they call it antidepressant discontinuation syndrome.

Isn’t that nice?  Sort of like saying it’s the –

“Less-than-perfect-but-still-roses-and-sunshine-readjustment-phase”.

Why not call it what it really is?

“The-lying-Nazi-scumbag-death-drug-crush-your-soul-and-spirit-just-try-and-live-through-it-syndrome”?

A WORLD OF HURT

Antidepressant withdrawal.  It’s a lonely path of pain and betrayal.

I hear from so many people.  Always one at a time.  As if they walk single file past my house.  It’s like the path of pain lies near my house and I see one after another after another.

They’re usually surprised and angry and scared and confused and backed into a corner like no corner should ever have to be backed into.  They sing their sad song and dance their lonely dance of pain.

They always come single file.  They usually feel betrayed.  Let down.  Lied to.  The ‘institution’ claiming responsibility for OUR health – carelessly watches the victims slip through it’s greasy fingers.  Or is it slime I smell?  Or is it blood on their hands?

It didn’t have to be this way.  But it is.  So many suffer.  So many cry.  So many others want to cry, but can’t.  They become like powerless automatons going through their ‘antidepressant discontinuation syndrome’, aka antidepressant withdrawal.

“I do what the drug lets me do.”  And no more.

The drug says my sleep gets messed up.  The drug says I must get fat. The drug says I can’t be sexual anymore.  And I’m powerless.  I don’t know where my power went.  I wonder if I ever had it.

I want to get away from it all.  But I can’t.  The drug won’t let me.  It knows all my hiding places.  Maybe it’s smarter than me.  I know it’s meaner.  I can be mean.  But I don’t want to.  I just want to live life.  Now I’m fighting for it.

I’ve been betrayed I don’t know why.

Seems all I believed in was a lie.

Now I sit and wonder, will I die?

Curl up in a ball and cry cry cry.

If I did die, could I take one of those drug makers with me?  Would that ease the suffering?  For me, and for those in that endless line of pain behind me?  It stretches single file as far as the eye can see.  All the others like me who wonder why…

Why do we have to be single file?  If we could just cluster together and lean on each other for support… but the drug won’t let us.  The drug says we must be alone.  Even when we’re not.

Why doesn’t somebody do something to stop it?  Stop these people.  Who would dare profit – by causing such terrible pain in another?  How cold must be the heart.

With icy stares
And haughty airs
A devil’s brew
From darkened lairs.
The sirens call,
Offering wares.
Or is it the trickster?
But the night despairs.
And all is not right in the land of the drug.

The drug says I can’t be happy.  The drug says I can’t be sad.  The drug says life must suck.  Like a mad jealous lover the drug won’t let me leave.  “If I can’t have you, no one will!” it says.  It will try to kill me if I leave.

I can take the drug and watch life go by.  Like a zombie watching a parade.  Or I can stop taking the drug and feel it kick my ass.  Is feeling pain better than feeling nothing at all?  Could I ever be happy again?

Taking the drug is like a temporary lobotomy – and it hurts like hell when it comes time to pull the needle out of my brain.  They call it biological psychiatry.  They say I’m stupid if I don’t believe in it.  Why must I worship at the alter of science?  Look where it got me.

Am I really just a two-legged animal with a house payment?  Is there really no God?  Is the mind really just an organ of the body?  Like the gall bladder, or the spleen…

They want me to believe it.  Do they lie?

They make money on my pain.  I KNOW that.

The drug says I don’t get to know what I believe.  The drug says I have to be confused.  The drug says I’ll pay for leaving it.  I already paid for being on it.   Why do I have pay twice?

Buttload of pills.

Roll the dice. Take your chances.

I just want to get away from everything.  But the drug says I can’t.  I’m trapped.  I’m desperate.  I’m scared of a jealous drug.  I’ve painted myself into a corner and now the ship is sinking.  I want an easy way out and there is none.  I’m in a world of hurt.  What do I do?

***

Get a toehold or a finger hold.  Find something to grab onto.  Then maybe you can get a foothold or a hand hold.  Then maybe you can get a little breathing room.

Question: How do I get a toehold?

Answer: Anyway you can!!!

Ever been rock climbing?  That’s where you approach a cliff and start climbing up it.  Hopefully with a safety rope.  You start climbing.  Looking for a place to grab with one of your hands so you can lift yourself up and grab the wall with your other hand.  While finding a place to rest a foot or a toe.  To lift up even further.

That’s kind of like your situation… if you’re trying to discontinue antidepressants and it hurts like hell.

You want to climb out of your pit of pain?  Better find something to grab hold of.  Grab what you can.  Anything that will support your weight.

Some people take nutritional supplements, and swear by them.  For others, supplements don’t do anything to relieve the suffering.

Obviously, body chemicals are out of whack if you’re going through withdrawal.  Even though I believe biological psychiatry rests on a sandy and shifty foundation, they do have some valid points.  You DO have brain chemicals.  They PROBABLY are out of balance if you’re severely depressed.  Or, if they weren’t out of balance BEFORE you took the meds, they sure are out of balance now!

That’s one of the problems with antidepressants.

By taking them, you don’t know if they will bring you back into balance, or take you FURTHER OUT OF BALANCE.

Nobody knows which way you’ll go.  So it makes a lot of sense that increasing your glutathione levels may just help with the withdrawal pain.

Here’s the first supplement I would consider taking – Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate from Brownwood Acres.

Go to their web site and look around. Everything they sell is top quality and it just might help. I love their products and believe in them whole-heartedly.  (They have nothing to do with antidepressants or the withdrawal process – they just happen to make a product that helps.)

Here’s something else I would do if I were going through withdrawal pains:

1. Find someone who knows how to do muscle testing.

2. Have them test various supplements and foods to see what helps and what may be hurting you.  Start with Vitamin E and Omega 3.

Many doctors don’t believe in muscle testing. (It may be the same ones who don’t believe in antidepressant withdrawal!)

I guess because it’s often chiropractors who are the ones performing the muscle testing.

Let me tell you from personal experience, it works.

I knew a really good chiropractor in Gainesville, FL.  I also knew a really bad one.  They were in two different worlds.  Same town; different worlds.  Kind of ironic, if you think about it.

If you select someone to muscle test you – it’s important to find a really good healer. Otherwise, you may be wasting your time and money.

To sum up:  Remember, this is just the first step to getting a finger hold or a toehold.  So you can climb out of your pit of pain.  I’ll talk about other things later.

Should you follow my advice? Only if it makes sense to you. I believe diet – anything and everything you put into your physical body – is one of the most important aspects of your life, and certainly of your health and well-being.

Eating a junk-food diet and hoping to compensate for it by popping a few natural supplements… probably won’t help that much.  I believe the total diet must be considered.  At the very least, take a good hard look at your diet and determine for yourself if changes need to be made.   Maybe you can find a toehold somewhere in there.

Everyone has their own unique ‘best’ diet.  There is no one overall ‘best’ diet for all people.  The best diet for you may not be the best diet for me.

Before you go visit the website Brownwoodacres.com or start looking around
for a health practitioner to perform muscle testing, you first need to be as clear as you can about your MOTIVATION.

Oh I know your motivation is to end the pain of the antidepressant withdrawal.  Or the antidepressant discontinuation syndrome.  Whatever.    But look deeper than the surface.

What do you REALLY want to prove?  To better understand what I’m talking about, what are you proving RIGHT NOW?

Your suffering does prove something.  If you can get in touch with whatever that is, then you’ll be in a much better position to find your current motivation.  To make sure it’s in alignment with what you really want.

Know what your suffering proves to you.

Next, look at what you’d like to prove by taking my advice.

Then decide for yourself.  Don’t let anyone else make your decisions for you. Deep down inside, you know what’s best for you.

Peggy Lewis August 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Yep, they don’t call it withdrawal. If it was any other kind of medication, the pain you go through would certainly be called withdrawal. You wind up being more depressed than before you started the medication. Think the doctors want you to know that? Of course not. Wish there was something I could do. With time maybe enough of us who have suffered or are suffering “withdrawals” can band against the people who tout antidepressants as a miracle cure. I am not a vindictive person, but I would like to see some of these pharmaceutical companies sued for omitting important information to the patient regarding stopping the antidepressant. It takes time and a lot of effort to go through withdrawals. As if that weren’t bad enough, you know you have been lied to by the medical & pharmaceutical fields.

Mark Ivar Myhre August 10, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Hey Peggy,

good to hear from you.

maybe you’ve noticed the commercials that are starting to play on tv about birth defects that happen to babies whose mothers were on zoloft and other antidepressants.

those lawsuits may be coming

Peggy Lewis August 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Hope those lawsuits are well on their way.

Carolyn Jenssen November 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I keep reading the same stuff. All I want to know is how long I can expect this crap to go on. I went cold turkey six days ago, is there an end to the physical crappy side

Peggy Lewis November 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Yes, there is an end to the physical symptoms. I felt bad for close to a month although the psychiatrist told me that was impossible because the drug was no longer in my system. But…my brain chemistry was messed up and I wound up hospitalized. I was more depressed than before I took the antidepressant. I didn’t have a support system, and I think that could have helped. Instead my family condemned me. I went through a year of severe depression and couldn’t work. That doesn’t mean that will happen to you. I had been on antidepressants for years, so I am sure it hit me harder than someone who has taken them for a short while and then stops. Don’t know if this helps you at all. I had quit antidepressants once before about 10 years ago and the physical symptoms of withdrawal only lasted for about a week. I really do believe that the extent of the suffering from withdrawal depends on how long you have been taking antidepressants. Hang in there and try to get in touch with why you are depressed. Your brain does heal itself, and you will feel better soon.

thejes November 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm

What pisses me off is I kicked this shit a year ago without any problems but then started taking it again and now I’m going through the vertigo and insane dreams trying to kick it again like the first time. This shit is bad news.

Tammy November 18, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I am at a place right now….I HATE EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE AND WANT TO KILL!!! I AM SO OVERWHELMED WITH EMOTIONS I CAN’T STAND IT! WHEN I SAY I WANT TO KILL IT DON’T MEAN ANYONE ELSE……ITS JUST THE WAY I FEEL….IF I WERE TO TAKE ANY LIFE IT WOULD BE MY OWN….I HATE THIS FEELING!!! I COULD SCREAM!!! I WANT OUT OF MY OWN F-ING BODY!!!

thejes November 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I’m going through withdrawal for the third time— the other day I was in my car driving I saw a pedestrian and fantasized hitting him and I was laughing about it. This drug is a MF’er. Get to a doctor and get some help. DON’T take another prescription.

Peggy Lewis November 19, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I felt suicidal while going through withdrawals and even a few months after that. I strongly suggest you get some help before you harm yourself. If anyone should be harmed, it should be the doctors and pharmaceutical companies that pass out antidepressants like candy. I know how you feel, and I can tell you that even though you don’t think so, those feelings will pass. You will be happy again. It took me time and a lot of therapy, but I feel happy now.

dj corbin November 20, 2011 at 7:45 am

Went off Paroxetine seven days ago. I have experienced nausia, dizzyness and daily all-day headaches. Went on the med a year ago right after filing for divorce from an emotionally abusive pot-addicted hubby who …just doesn’t get it… boy has he made me pay! In the last year I felt I have been in a super fog. I have gained twenty pounds. I am realizing numbing out wasn’t an answer. I have some backlash anger toward Mr. Control Freak (aka-soon to be ex) who will not grant me a divorce… in PA you have to wait two years! But mostly just deep sorrow. The grieving process 10 fold! AGAIN!!!!! This shit blows! I have so much on my plate…I am the one who supports everyone else! So…I thank you for this site…I thank everyone for sharing because knowing that I am not the only one…well.. somehow that helps. I am also so darn sore…I just thought it was shoveling moving wheel barrels on stone…but now I know it is more…my body’s reaction to physical labor is way accentuated…..I am especially sore around my neck. Good Lord…just get us all through Thanksgiving! I have this big Italian family and I can feel my mouth opening now with brutal opinions flying forth like the four horsemen from hell! Easily pissed-off…yet another lovely symptom…I will never-ever touch that drug again!

dj corbin November 20, 2011 at 7:47 am

Went off Paroxetine seven days ago. I have experienced nausia, dizzyness and daily all-day headaches. Went on the med a year ago right after filing for divorce from an emotionally abusive pot-addicted hubby who …just doesn’t get it… boy has he made me pay! In the last year I felt I have been in a super fog. I have gained twenty pounds. I am realizing numbing out wasn’t an answer. I have some backlash anger toward Mr. Control Freak (aka-soon to be ex) who will not grant me a divorce… in PA you have to wait two years! But mostly just deep sorrow. The grieving process 10 fold! AGAIN!!!!! This shit blows! I have so much on my plate…I am the one who supports everyone else! So…I thank you for this site…I thank everyone for sharing because knowing that I am not the only one…well.. somehow that helps. I am also so darn sore…I just thought it was shoveling and moving wheel barrels of stone…but now I know it is more…my body’s reaction to physical labor is way accentuated…..I am especially sore around my neck. Good Lord…just get us all through Thanksgiving! I have this big Italian family and I can feel my mouth opening now with brutal opinions flying forth like the four horsemen from hell! Easily pissed-off…yet another lovely symptom…I will never-ever touch that drug again!

thejes November 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Hey— your last sentence, stick with it. I went back on this shit twice.

thejes November 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Hang in there. I’ve quit it cold turkey three times. The whacko dreams are the worse! Don’t even want to describe the insanity.

Just know you will come out on the other side, keep pushing forward.

katpal November 27, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Just wanted to add something. I am on day 13 of withdrawal from effexor. I am feeling better. It was hell early on with the tremors, flu symptoms, the emotions opened up like Pandora’s box etc. I never knew anything about this condition since I have been on effexor for the past 1o yrs. Due to the end of the patent, the insurance co. decided no more effexor-use a generic. Generic, I thought, would contain the similar chemistry. Apparently not. The first day I used it, I experienced the effexor withdrawls. I thought the generic was the cause. Then I started looking up info. on line. Boy, did I learn. First generic only needs to contain the same active ingredient. All the remainder ingredients may be varied. My body did not substitute the generic for the effexor. So, I found myself in withdrawal without knowing what was happening to me. What a shock! I have been using fish oil to 2000 mg-which I had been only taking 1000 prior. I have also added Biotin for the numb, tingling in my hands and legs. I added 5-HTP 100mg at night. All have helped along with time. I am better! All of these new additions to my diet came from info on line given by others. I am actually experiencing some happy moments these days too. This is a foreign feeling for me, but quite enjoyable. Hope this helps. There is healing.

Tracy December 29, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Hi katpal, I am curious about how you arrived at your choice of fish oil, biotin and 5-HTP. I have set a date for the middle of January to stop taking Effexor. I am finally down to 75mg and have been on this evil drug since 1999. I was also never told how much hell I would have to go through to get off this job. Did you start with taking the Effexor every other day or did you just stop taking it. I am very scared about what I am going to go through and any advice would be helpful.

Cassi Little December 7, 2011 at 10:56 am

I am really scared after reading some of these comments. I have been on celexa for over a year and due to extreme weight gain from it and more depression, I am starting to wein myself off the meds. Today is my first day to start this and I know it is going to suck. I have 2 small kids and I hope I can get through this quickly for them. I have tried to stop cold turkey and by the third day, I am so physically ill. I am a store manager at a retail store and I cant miss work. I dontknow if I should cntinue the meds and be fat forever or quick and risk losing it all. Any suggestions?

Mark Ivar Myhre December 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Taper slowly. That’s the best thing I can say. The slower you go the better off you’ll be.

Celexa isn’t near as bad as paxil or effexor.

Susan December 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Message for Cassie Little
How are you doing now. I am on 20 mg / day of celexa and am preparing myself to go off. I also take trazadone and have read that the combination causes heart arythmia which I am experiencing. Please tell me how the withdrawel mhas been for you

Cassi Little December 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Hi Susan,
I am on the last day of my week on 20mg. Starting tomorrow I will be on 10 mg for 1 week. I am questioning whether or not to stay on 20 mg through the holidays or go ahead and keep up with my withdrawl. I feel pretty good on the 20 mg dose. The first couple days I was alittle down, but once my body adjusted it was better. I have none or very faint withdrawl symptoms from the reduction in dose. I would say headaches, which go away with ibuprofen. I was actually expecting the decrease in dose to be horrible feelings of sadness and be more physically ill. But all in all, if every week is this easy, then I know it is going to be a breeze to quit this med. My biggest fear is how will I be without medicine. Keep in touch with me as you go through your withdrawl as well:)

Cassi Little December 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Also,
Mark is right, “The slower, the better”
Whatever you do- Don’t do the every other day thing like the doctor will tell you because the day after your non day, you will be a total mess because you have not had any meds in your system for 24 hrs. I am just taking it slow like Mark suggested.