Zoloft Withdrawal

by Mark Ivar Myhre on December 24, 2006

Here’s another post from join-the-fun.com/zoloft-comments.

Zoloft withdrawal

I just wanted to share a successful strategy of tapering off Zoloft with everyone. I am like everyone else here — suffering from the same issues — but I was lucky to find this advice on one of the WEB blogs for Zoloft withdrawal. I decided to try and have been relatively successful. I feel like I see a light at the end of the tunnel now!

I switched to liquid Zoloft which allows me to taper off EXTREMELY slowly and precisely. My doctor did not even know about this strategy, so I was on my own experimenting with it.

Here is how it works, but you will have to figure out what works best for you.

Have your doctor give you a prescription for liquid Zoloft. 1ml of liquid Zoloft equals 4mg of a pill you are taking. So if you are taking 100 mg of Zoloft for example you will be taking 25ml instead. Ask your farmacist to give you a couple dispensing syringes (they usually keep them behind the counter and will give them to you for free). they are critical because you will need to have a way to measure the exact amount of liquid Zoloft and decrease it very slowly.

Over the last eight months I went from 150 mg to 12(!) I experience some mild side effects — zapping, irritability. If I felt that the side effects are just a little bit too much I would go back up on a dose a couple of ml. I tried to follow a schedule and go down 1ml per week but it did not work. There were times when I was able to go down 1ml every two days, other times I had to stay on the same dose for three weeks before I was able to go down again. I dont know what it depends on. I still have ways to go, because the lower you get the more difficult it becomes, but if you are really serious about getting off it — try liquid Zoloft, and be patient and don’t be harsh on yourself. If you have to increase your dose or stay on a certain level for a long time — it is OK.

I have 12 mg still to go and I will take it easy — I have gone a long way now and I know it will happen at some point. Good luck to you all!

end of comments by Anna on Zoloft Withdrawal

lifesawonder January 23, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Your page on Blackberry eradication won't allow a comment, so I found you here. (Yes, as a fellow Cappie, I am persistant).
Anyways, thanks for that laugh – too, too good! I will be sharing this process with a few people!
Well, now I have to go to a clients house to eradicate the dreaded 'blood plant' (as I refer to what they get out of me).
Again, thanks for the laugh – I'll be thinking of you ever drop of blood while doing this!

Anonymous May 18, 2007 at 10:06 am

Hey,

I got off Zoloft on my own. My doctor actually said that I'd be on it for life.. but I was starting to think that I had a good enough mind to face my life without a pill.. This determination alone was really what helped me get off Zoloft.. So I started cutting down my dose myself.. I started tapering my dose off by 1/4 of a tablet (it's possible if you cut it with a knife).. I started to exercise more to keep up a positive psychological momentum (big step for me).. I finally got down to 1/2 a tablet.. was on that for about 2 months.. then.. I took the plunge and stopped all together. It's a pyschological step to actually get off Zoloft.. the physical rewards in getting off it were actually better than being on it. You just have to believe in yourself and that you were born without the drugs.. This means.. that you can deal with your life without them too (after they have done what they have really needed to…)..

Goodluck everyone..

Anonymous February 4, 2008 at 7:01 pm

I have been on Zoloft for about 8 months, and for me, it has been a wonder drug. I have suffered from Panic Attack Disorder since the third grade (only, they didn't know what to call it then – it kept being referred to as 'nervous stomach' and a phase that I would grow out of). At the age of 31, I knew that my anxiety issues clearly weren't normal – panic attacks, obsessive thoughts, too easily stressed, and not understand the meaning of letting something "roll off my back." So I asked to go on Zoloft (I had tried it one other time in my life for a couple of months to get through a rough spell, and it worked then, too). Since going on Zoloft, I deem myself to be "normal" for the first time EVER. Now, I have heard friends comment that it causes them to just not care about ANYTHING, but for me, it eliminated the DRASTIC highs and lows, to where I don't worry about stupid insignificant things, but I have normal down days, and I still get excited about things that I like. But you all are scaring me – what the hell withdrawal symptoms do you have if you stop cold turkey? (In case I should ever decide to go off of it.)

wendy hancock October 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm

YOU CAN”T don’t even try it!! You will suffer ‘zappings’ constantly till you think you’re going insane. NEVER try cold turkey. If you’re really happy staying on it – do so. Otherwise, taper v v v slowly. Please don’t think about cold turkey, it hurts

Anonymous June 23, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Started to take 50mg of zoloft for anxiety about 2 weeks ago. Never took it all the time or was serious about taking it either. I would take a pill here and there every other day or two, never daily or more than one a day. I hardly ever took it until past weekend I noticed it gave me ED. I immediately stopped taking it. Now I am experiencing extreme withdraw from it. I feel like I got hooked on it just like that. I am trying to wean myself off it taking half every other day, – withdraw symptoms are so bad! Its like I am taking it more often to wean myself off of it.

Anonymous June 23, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Anonymous July 9, 2008 at 7:29 am

So here's my issue. I started taking Zoloft 6 months ago, after the birth of my second daughter. Post Partum, which I had after my first, but didn't know it. It did great things for me (although I have gained weight, but I thought it was the IUD that they gave me, and had that taken out with no relief from the weight gain… hmm…)Sorry, back to my withdrawls… I was just 'terminated' from my job after 6 years (along with 45 other people). You would think that I would need a higher dosage, right? Nope… I'm wonderful mentally. So wonderful, I didn't even get a refill before my insurance ran out. UH OH. So, here I am. Nothing to 'taper' off with, feeling great emotionally, but man. I am so dizzy. I had to leave the grocery store yesterday for fear of vomiting in the frozen foods. My neck and back are killers… and I generally just feel like I have the flu. How can I deal with these symptoms holistically? (as I don't want to pay full price for another refill)

Anonymous July 9, 2008 at 7:53 am

Hi,
The is a wonderful website called "The Road Back" that details how to control symptoms while taking and after cessation of psychotropics. The advice given is mostly nutritional and highly effective. I know because I am now free of Zoloft completely and feeling great!

Hope that helps!

Anonymous July 9, 2008 at 8:03 am

mel November 17, 2010 at 4:44 am

hey i was on 150 mg zoloft for 6 yrs weaned off it doc said 7 days side affects were crap but i did it went on too lovan didnt work then pristiq then cymblta didnt work so doc put me back on zoloft been on it for 3 weeks with panic attacks anxity so i got told take it at night then back too day cause i couldnt sleep im taking stress no more as it helped me get off cymbolta going too another doc tomorrow as the doc said well we cant do any more oh and panadol osto for aches thank god i have a caring boss he gave me the week off said if i need more take it

new york pizza April 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Hey comrade. Amusing stuff. What are your thoughts on you know who

elementy kute August 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Thank you for useful information. Waiting for new posts.

...... October 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

Hi, I have been taking zoloft for a little over a month and I have noticed that when I stand up I black out for a second or two. This didn’t happen before. Is it the zoloft? Should I start to get off it? I also got put on Aderall for ADHD at the same time. Is it both together that is causing these symptoms? I’m 18 yrs young and more than concerned. Thank you for the info about how to get off it if I must.

Mark Ivar Myhre October 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Well, it is likely the zoloft or aderall is making you pass out like that. They do have many, many side effects. But as for whether or not you should taper off, that’s a decision only you can make.

lz November 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

liquid was the only way i could get off of paxil…unfortunately life happened and i had to get on effexor, then a switch to zoloft a few weeks ago. finally am fed up with it all and am trying to get off entirely. currently down to 25mg of zoloft every other day, but then the zaps and irritability get too much and i can’t function at work (stumbling down the hallway bc i feel like the building is falling is just not working for me).

Researched and found liquid zoloft online and told my psych about it — he also had never heard of it! and this is 5 years later! one would THINK that if doctors are so willing to put people on meds like this, they would ALSO be familiar with a strategy for getting off the drug. it’s criminal, if you ask me. well, i feel really good taking this in my own hands and will begin the tapering off this week after i pick up the liquid prescription later today. wish me luck…

michael mackey February 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Hi!
I have been on zoloft {200mgs}for nearly 18yrs,I decide to get off it about 6 weeks ago.My doctor told me to do it very slowly,she did not mention the withdrawal roller coaster,or the side effects.After six weeks I am down to 100mgs,I just get bad headaches.I have been on 100mgs for about 10 days,I know after reserching the side effects that the fun has not yet begun.
I realize that it may take months to get of it completly.I see my shrink next Thursday,The data on liquid Zoloft gives me extra hope.