What Is Emotional Healing?

by Mark Ivar Myhre on August 16, 2011

I would say emotional healing is getting back to your natural way of feeling. It’s a matter of returning to your natural state, which is to feel all your feelings as soon as they come up.  Because once you’ve felt them, then they will be processed by your heart and they will naturally release.

I believe we were designed to be an open channel – sort of like a fountain.  But rather than flowing water, instead we are flowing emotion – thoughts and feelings – right through us.

Or that’s what we’re designed to do, anyway.  That’s what we’re born to do.

But the system becomes corrupted once we get into this world.  Because we’re taught from a very young age that emotions are bad and wrong and you’re not supposed to even have them.  And if you must feel them, go off in private somewhere and once you’re over it, then you can come back to be around all the other sane, rational, ordinary people.

Emotions are an embarrassment, and you need to suppress them or repress them, or depress them – just so you manage them.  Control them in some way.  That’s how everyone tells you to deal with your emotions.

Which would be great, except it’s one hundred percent wrong.

You don’t want to manage your emotions.  You don’t want to control them.  You don’t want to stuff them down.  You want to feel them.  Or at least, your heart wants to feel them. And when you deny your heart, you’re in for a world of pain.  Maybe not today, but it’s coming.  Count on it.

No, you want to open up your heart full and wide and let in everything.  Feel everything.  That’s how you become powerful.  That’s how you become more alive.  That’s how you create the life you want, and live a life worth living.

Getting back to that state, is what emotional healing is all about.  Being an open fountain.

Emotions are always flowing into us.

Are We Any Less Beautiful? Really?

Now look, that does not mean that you go around with your heart on your sleeve, getting your feelings hurt all the time.  It doesn’t mean you fly into a rage when someone does something you don’t like.  And it doesn’t mean you’re going to be stuck in darkness and despair.

Not at all. Instead, it means you’re going to be the most alive person you can possibly imagine. It means you don’t have to be afraid of your feelings.  It means you feel more powerful than you’ve ever felt in your life.

It’s indescribable.  It’s like the best thing you could possibly imagine, multiplied by ten. It’s like heaven on earth.  That’s the promise of emotional healing.

That’s what can happen, when you simply choose to feel all your feelings.  When you allow all your feelings to enter your heart.  When you let your heart do its job.

You can do and be and have anything you want once you learn how to tap into this flow of energy that bubbles up into you in what I call the emotional wellspring.

So I would call emotional healing the steps you take, the choices you make, to open up your heart to feel all your feelings. So they can flow through you.  Emotional healing is removing the walls that we’ve all put around our hearts that keep out or at least restrict that flow of raw material.  That flow of emotion.

Because that’s what emotion is – raw material that we use to create the world around us. It’s almost like we need a new label for it, because calling it emotion really limits it so much.  It’s so much more than what we think of when we think of our emotions.  It really is life itself.

Rick August 17, 2011 at 4:42 am

Thank you very much for sharing this Mark. It helps me a lot. Thank you.

Mark Ivar Myhre August 17, 2011 at 5:53 am

Thanks, Rick.

glad it helps!

Michael Gerstein August 18, 2011 at 12:42 am

This won’t be a popular post. But I have to be frank. Yes, Mark, I’ve been opening up recently to my emotions, after 65 years of repression, as you describe. BUT, the predominant emotion I’m experiencing, are the fires of a very negative one. Like an angry child or teenager in a tantrum. “No I won’t!” comes easier than “Yes, I will”. I know I have lots of other lovely emotions, as your article says. [I am an artist, writer, musician] But right now I am in hell, burning the fires. And I’ve got a horrible feeling, I am the only one who can get out of it.

Mark Ivar Myhre August 18, 2011 at 6:25 am

Hi Michael,

I think what you’ve described is quite typical when someone really starts opening up and letting their feelings in. At first, there will most definitely be some unpleasant stuff.

Whatever has been repressed is what’s going to show up first. Just like cleaning out a drain pipe. (Bad analogy, maybe!)

But it’s like we’ve got all this gunk stuck to the sides of our emotional flow, like plaque on the sides of our arteries. And when you start to clean out that flow, you’re going to get stuff that’s unpleasant.

Now, in your particular case, I find that very interesting that it would be thoughts of a (your?) child and adolescent. Maybe you’re giving your inner child or inner adolescent room to speak? Maybe their voice was repressed and now its coming out?

Lots of different possibilities here.

But keep in mind, the idea is to just feel those expressions fully – so you can let them move through you.

You don’t want them dislodged from inside you, only to get stuck again in your throat. Sometimes a good primal scream does wonders to get the flow going again.

Michael Gerstein August 18, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thank you Mark, for your reply. It is very helpful. I hadn’t thought that it might be the repressed, unpleasant stuff coming out first, as I open up. I’ve been having the horrible feelings that I was changing from a nice, polite, albeit repressed person, into a world hating devil.

Chris February 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hey Mark just a quick question. When I finally get to the point where I’m willing to feel all my emotions (and I’m definitely close) how long should I expect it to take to start feeling something? I know it will take patience, but I feel like I’ve gone through a state of numbing this past year or so and am beginning to some sort of light.

Mark Ivar Myhre February 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Hey Chris,

good question!

From my experience, the willingness to ‘feel it all’ is an almost never-ending process. I’m still finding things to open up to, even after working DILIGENTLY with this for years. It gets closer and closer to ‘full willingness’ but never seems to quite reach it.

In the way that .999999 approaches 1, but never quite reaches it.

There’s still more to open up to, I’ve found.

But to answer your question, it seems like you should start seeing changes very soon. For me, I’ve had many, many ‘growth spurts’ where it seemed like nothing happened, then I’d have a little breakthrough. I’d get all excited, then things would settle down at their new equilibrium for a while, until the next breakthrough.

I suppose it’s different for everybody, though, as to what the exact time frame is.

Maybe ‘the gold is just over the next hill’ – as the natives kept telling the conquistadors…

Chris February 12, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Mark I appriciate the reply. I’m noticing changes with every week so who knows where this will take me or how long. I guess I’ll just have to respect my internal clock and let it do its thing on this one. Great advice to hear though. My quest for that gold is never ending so just keep on keep’n on, as they say.